We were delight to be invited by IIT Bombay to deliver a lecture around the theme “Gender Related Issues” during the initiative – Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) at IIT Bombay.
IIT Bombay organised LEAP, an initiative by MHRD, for potential academicians from Centrally Funded Technical Institutes to become future leaders. The participants (~30 members) in this program were senior faculty from several institutes of higher education having prior experience in administration. The program was aimed at developing next level of leadership in Academia through a 3 week long course. The idea was to impart a leader’s perspective in running large, complex and high impact organizations.
From a sexual harassment at workplace law perspective, we discussed the following with the participants:
- Need for a gender balanced workplace
- Sensitisation to professional etiquette
- Loci of gender interactions in academic and academic administrative setting
- Different strategies for student, staff and faculty groups
- Understanding of varied workplaces and residential habitats
- Creating conducive gender sensitive environment or protocols
- Preempting inappropriate work environments and practices
- Channels and mechanisms of expressing discomfort
- Channels for escalation of complaint
- Statutory and legal provisions and requirements
- Institutional communication of the framework and of the gender related ethos to all the players
It was a great learning experience for us.